At GoodSkin™ Clinics, a premiere cosmetic medical office, we are passionate about providing the best health and wellness services so you can age gracefully. But even our most advanced aesthetic techniques aren’t the only things to get you to your best, mostly healthy self.
Here are 10 tips from our founder, Lisa Goodman, for how she approaches healthy aging.
- A colorful Mediterranean diet. The focus is on fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, olive oil, and fish. Try to avoid foods like processed foods and red meat.
- Exercise is important. There are a variety of interesting options available to try: pilates, Tracy Anderson workouts, walking. The latter is easy to do in NYC, but anytime you can walk instead of drive, try it. It’s also important to find something you love to do.
- Tending to any physical limitations or challenges. Incorporate chiropractic, postural care, and other outside care to deal with scoliosis, chronic pain, and more.
- Hydration. It’s crucial to healthy aging. The skin especially loves being hydrated. This doesn’t mean you have to drink 8 huge bottles of water every day, but keeping one nearby at all times helps a lot.
- Limited alcohol consumption. Among other things, drinking too much can weaken your immune system, making your body a much easier target for disease. It also dehydrates your skin (see above).
- Get a good night’s sleep. How? Perhaps try going to bed a little earlier. Soothing nighttime routines that fit your likes can help.
- Make plans with friends. Social interaction is key to staying young!
- Get regular check-ups. Your physician can help you catch things you might miss or don’t necessarily feel, like high cholesterol.
- Avoid smoking. Or don’t start. We can only do so much about those smoker lines. Why not prevent them?
- Do things to keep your stress levels down. This can be anything from yoga or meditation to watching a comedy to playing pickleball. Lightening up is always a win-win.
**Note that sunscreen is not on this list, since it falls under skin care, but it’s ALWAYS worth mentioning when it comes to slowing the signs of aging:
SUNSCREEN. Every day, no matter the weather. One with a strong physical UV blocker. (We recommend Elta MD sunscreen, which you can pick up in our clinics.)